This is to invite you to try GroupMe, a mechanism to quickly communicate important news to our neighbors. It is like the email list, but provides a method of instant communication using your SMS enabled phone. The news could be something like
- “Suspicious car driving south on Scofield Farms drive”,
- a fire in the neighborhood,
- tornado or hurricane news,
- help me messages that warrant a quick dissemination.
- Scofield Farms’ neighborhood watch messages.
We are trying this out with an initial group of volunteers. In a couple of weeks, and depending on feedback from the group, it would be made generally available to whoever would like to be texted instant neighborhood messages. We’ll make sure that this is used for appropriate messages, and that non-residents are not added to this group.
So if you would like to volunteer to be an early adopter, please use one of the following methods:
1) If you are already a member of the Forum just email the webmaster from the same email account as the one you use for the Forum and indicate that you desire to join SF Instant Communicator. The webmaster will add you to the group and provide you with additional instructions.
2) If you are not a Forum member please consider joining the forum. If you choose to not be a part of the forum please email the webmaster your name, pool card number and either your SMS enabled phone or email address. After verification the webmaster will add you to the group and email you additional instructions.
Here is the email address for the webmaster:
SF Instant Communicator uses GroupMe. Any users, whether sending or receiving text messages with GroupMe, should be aware that standard text messaging rates may apply. Text messaging rates can normally be found by asking your provider.
Thank you, Kevin for suggesting this application. Special thanks to Piyush Mehta and Jerry Sachs for their work in researching and testing this solution.